[self-interest] Lessons learnt from the Self archive

Jason Grossman spam-me at xeny.net
Thu Jun 16 00:36:38 UTC 2016

On 16 Jun 2016, at 7:29, 'Jecel Assumpcao Jr.' jecel at merlintec.com
[self-interest] wrote:

> One result was that the papers gave people ideas for their own
> languages, of which I think only Io (via NewtonScript) and Javascript
> had any impact.

I believe Io is the next best thing to Self, right?  Although maybe it's
partly a matter of taste and interests.

IMO, the biggest problem with Io (and with Self, and with most versions
of SmallTalk too) is lack of documentation.  For example, Io comes with
a native http server, but it's completely undocumented.

Documentation documentation documentation.

Documentation.

Jason