documentation

James Noble kjx at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Jul 25 10:02:47 UTC 2016

> Great examples. But you omitted the source code.

and this I think is one of the most significant cultural changes between Smalltalk and Java -- pretty much a generational change.

Smalltalk people expected to read the source code,
ditto for things like MacApp, ET++, MFC, all shipped
with code and the expectation people would read it.
The Lions book is another example.  Software Tools.

Then came Javadoc - and now people expect to be
able to read only the documentation.  I do it myself:
read the code in Smalltalk or Self (or Grace):
read the doc in C# or Java.

a micro-paradigm shift if you will.

James