Better organisation of globals?

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Mon Feb 2 03:52:02 UTC 2015

The current organisation of objects in 'globals' into categories bears all the hallmarks of organic growth, and I've found it a bit hard to work out where things are. (There is also scope for cleanups of some of the more unused objects but we'll look at that later)

I've added a branch to the GitHub sources 'reorg' and have built a trial snapshot with an attempt at something more 'discoverable'.

I'd love feedback; either build the version in the reorg branch or download a prebuilt snapshot at:

http://files.selflanguage.org/temp/reorg.snap

The story about the top level is basically:

applications - anything outside the main Self release, eg webservers etc
core - core language objects such as numbers, collections, booleans etc
graphical interface - code for morphic, ui1 etc
platform - objects to interface with the underlying platform (eg OS X etc)
system - objects relating to the Self system, such as the system logger, the transporter, reflection facilities etc

Any suggestions?

Cheers, Russell