[self-interest] selflanguage.org website down

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Sun Sep 28 07:06:33 UTC 2014

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
[self-interest] <self-interest at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> We can either make the webserver module a top level module, or move the
> webserver.self file to an applications folder I guess.

It would be great if it could live outside the hierarchy of Self core
code if possible. Ideally loading the code from a path would register
that path as the root of where it lives for transporter purposes. So
if I do:

  bootstrap read: 'webserver' From: '~/src/self-webserver/'

it would then know that '~/src/self-webserver' is where things should
be written back too. I'm not sure how hard this would be as I haven't
looked at that code at all.

> The more difficult question is how to collaborate when all our code is in a
> single file. Merging might be difficult?

The transporter seems pretty good at minimizing changes. Merges
unfortunately result in having to hack on the code with a standard
text editor which is a bit painful. For now I think single source is
fine, and split into multiple files as needed if areas become an
issue. For example a file for each servlet, etc. If merging looks to
be painful you can always just ask for contributers to rebase on top
of your changes and push the work out so you're not overloaded.

> I put it in the same module as readLine, ie abstract_OS
> How do we keep this in sync with the main Self distribution though?

This is a difficult issue - whether such additions to core
functionality should be moved to the core module or live in the
extension module. The approach I've been taking for my own code lately
is to put everything into the extension module so that it can be
loaded in pretty much any Self version. Later on I decide whether to
push things out if I want to share them with other modules. Then I'd
probably push them to a 'abstract_OS_extensions' or something and
merge them into the main Self code on a release point.

--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz