[self-interest] Working in Self

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Sun May 25 23:56:19 UTC 2014

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 11:33 AM, arm7.developer at yahoo.com
[self-interest] <self-interest at yahoogroups.com> wrote:
> - Do you (veteran Self users) actually work in the GUI or do you load from files and debug/fine tune in the GUI?

I work i the GUI. I save the results to files using the transporter to
backup and share with other images. Usually I start in the evaluator
shell in the GUI. I create an empty object and start adding slots and
methods from there.

> - Is there a way to file-in and file-out source code simply?

File in with:

  bootstrap read: 'myFile.self' From: 'mydirectory'.

File out by using the transporter tool.

> - Is there a simple way to name objects in the lobby without (what looks to me as) rather rigorous mouse clicking?

Not that I'm aware of.

> - Is there something like a Smalltalk browser to avoid having a zillion little windows with connectors all over the place?

I like the zillion little windows with connectors all over the place!
You can manage these by collapsing the objects and scrolling around
the infinite world.

--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz