[self-interest] Copy down slots

ardeujho ardeujho at cd.pn
Wed Mar 12 05:05:00 UTC 2014

I just tried doing this without using "Subclass me" and it seems to
work, as long as I make both objects independently - that is I don't
create the second object as a clone of the first. This seems to match
what it says in the Self Morphic document:

"Changes are propagated only to objects registered in the global
namespace (other prototypes), not to clones of those objects
(instances). "
What are the advantages of using copy down slots over using 'data
parents' as described in the "organizing programs without classes"
paper? In that paper a second parent is created that holds the data to
be inherited and the 'copy' operation in the trait is overridden to
copy the data parents. I'm curious why morphic went for the copy down
approach vs that.