[self-interest] A question about method slots

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Sun Mar 9 20:45:31 UTC 2014

David Ungar wrote:
> Interesting!Is this the right link? Was hoping for a drawing of the idea.

It was a text only discussion. But in the next message in that old
thread Bay Chang said one of Craig Chambers' students had actually
implemented this idea for Cecil (but placed the new text editor exactly
on top of the old text so you only noticed this if you tried to move
it):

http://www.merlintec.com/old-self-interest/msg00719.html

In the original discussion I had mentioned the danger of dropping the
new text on the wrong method slot. Using a slot editor instead of a
method editor would solve that problem. I would like a graphical way to
create new slots anyway, without having to fall back to the old textual
syntax. This part of the GUI seems a bit unfinished to me, just like the
Smalltalk-80 scheme for creating new classes by editing a template with
an expression that creates a class and evaluating that. Cute trick for
quick and dirty prototyping, but it is amazing that nobody could come up
with a proper solution in 38 years.