[self-interest] A question about method slots

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Sun Mar 9 20:18:43 UTC 2014

David Ungar wrote:
> Methods are immutable, BTW. When you edit one in the debugger
> it does a "become".

Indeed. Which is why an interesting alternative to the red and green
buttons in the method editor for the outliners would be to pop up a
dedicated editor hovering just above the original method. You could make
some changes and then either just throw it away (the equivalent of the
red button) or you could drop it down on the outliner below, were it
would atomically become the new version of the method (like pressing the
green button).

This might seem a little awkward, but would visually more closely
present the story we want to tell. With the red and green buttons you
see a method in the outliner which doesn't correspond to what will run
if you send the message to it right now. But I had already made this
suggestion in 1995:

http://www.merlintec.com/old-self-interest/msg00718.html