[self-interest] A question about method slots

Michael Paap michael at mpaap.de
Sat Mar 8 21:02:33 UTC 2014

Am 08.03.2014 21:52, schrieb Jecel Assumpcao Jr.:

> This is a GUI issue, not a language one. The idea is that the most
> common use for editing a method in an object that also exists in other
> objects in the same "clone family" is that you now want it to be
> different. You want to start a new clone family.

Ok...

1. Method objects are referenced from method slots like any other object
from an data slot.

2. After cloning an object with a method slot, the original and the
clone share the method object.

3. Changing the method via the editor of one of the objects will create
a /new/ method object for this object.

Makes sense. :-)

> "Read-only" means for normal use. Besides methods, we also have
> immutable strings (what would be Symbols in Smalltalk-80). The
> programming tools (and the mirror objects they are built on) are not
> normal use. If we didn't have this "escape hatch" it would be impossible
> to create these read-only objects in the first place.

Thank you!

Michael