[self-interest] Self community?

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Mon Mar 3 23:39:44 UTC 2014

I think historically Self has been sociologically an academic/research community and not an open source community (of course Self is under an open source licence) That is, people have tended to do their own thing in private and write papers or give presentations every now and again to let people know what they're doing, rather than doing development in public. (eg more like Alan Kay's FONC than Pharo)

Timezones are definitely an issue for small communities spread out over the world.  Email solves that better than IRC but of course like all media has its own effects on the message :)

I think it is probably a good time to start talking about how to best handle multiple repositories rather than putting everything in the main tree. Some stuff currently in the tree such as webservers and browsers should probably be split out. This would also force us to think more concretely about versioning.

The transporter is good for developing and managing libraries in the sense of components of a compiled product - the analogy is building a static unix binary. It's not so good at being a package manager like say yum or apt - it can only load, not unload for example.

Russell