[self-interest] trashcan problems

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Sun Jan 19 04:46:54 UTC 2014

Hi Michael,

On 16 Jan 2014, at 6:19 am, Michael Paap <michael at mpaap.de> wrote:

> I've got some really stupid problem. I am using the demo snapshot of
> Self 4.4 to play around with the system. And I repeatedly had the
> experience, that I dismissed some object by accident.
>
> You see: I need a trashcan. There is one in the clean snapshot, but not
> in the demo. I am sure, it /must/ be simple to get one an to integrate
> it in the world.

I see what you mean. I'm not sure about the metaphor. Sure, if I dismiss a scratch object I've just created, then presumably it will be garbage collected and disappear. A trash can seems logical to handle that. On the other hand if I dismiss "traits string" I haven't trashed it, I've just sent it away. I can always get it back again by sending the appropriate messages to Lobby.

Maybe we need some 'recently dismissed' list somewhere which would hold dismissed objects? The upside/downside is that they wouldn't be garbage collected.

> BTW: If you would like to have some information, of which kind the
> problems are, which may prevent a programmer, familiar with Linux and
> Windows and state-of-the-art-IDEs, but not with exotic stuff like MacOS
> or Emacs (OMG!), I could give you a recapitulation of my experiences of
> the last weeks. ;-)

That would be actually really interesting and useful :)

Russell