[self-interest] [Ann][Quack] Self 4.5.0 ("Mallard") released

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Mon Jan 13 11:44:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 12:25 AM, Baltasar <baltasarq at gmail.com> wrote:
> #vm 'worldBuilder.self' _RunScript

If you want to run these scripts, best to do it with cwd set to the
'objects' subdirectory. So I do:

$ cd objects
objects$ ../Self
VM# 'worldBuilder.self' _RunScript

I describe something like this at:

<http://bluishcoder.co.nz/2009/07/27/building-and-using-self-on-linux.html>

Note that the build instructions there are out of date but it should
give you the idea.

> Another, completely different issue is how bad the font is seen in Ubuntu. Maybe is just that the system font is too small in the title window, and in the buttons: Get it, Do it and Close. Can that be somehow fixed?

Fonts are horrible, I agree. See my attempts at working on this here
to get Xft support:

> Finally, in the self page the tutorial in: http://selflanguage.org/_static/tutorial/index.html is recommended. The problem is how to start. Nowhere is to be found how to create a new, empty object, so you can start with the balance example.

To get an empty object evaluate: (| |)
You can then add parents,etc from the GUI. Or you can also do: (|
parent* = traits clonable |) copy

If you do "Get it" vs "Do it" you get the object instance in the hand.

--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz