[self-interest] Is there something in SELF like "become" in smalltalk?

Randy randy.smith at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 06:49:10 UTC 2014

By the way Michael, of course in addition to method parameters, there are the "temporaries" or "local" slots in a method activation (stack frame). But I can understand your confusion over the handbook statement, as there is normally no difference between "x" and "self x," so who cares. It's just unnecessarily verbose.

Interestingly, saying "self x" is kind of like using Java or Smalltalk's super, but one level down in the inheritance chain (which goes activation -> receiver -> recevier parent -> ...)

The only problem I can see is if you built your objects with x slots in both the method body and the receiver and had to use "self x" and "x" to denote which you meant, you're likely doing something more befuddling than beneficial, and you yourself might end up the victim of your own seeds of confusion. I suspect this is kind of what Dave meant by referring to puns being misleading.