[self-interest] Korz (was: Bold outliner items)

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Sun Feb 9 01:27:32 UTC 2014

On 9 Feb 2014, at 10:05 am, Jecel Assumpcao Jr. <jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

> David Ungar wrote:
> > If you are interested, see the talk Harold Ossher and I gave
> > at SPLASH this past fall.
>
> Russell Allen wrote:
> > This one? http://www.infoq.com/presentations/oop-language-context
>
> Thanks for the link. I was very glad to see a language name that is easy
> to search for (Korz) compared to Smalltalk, Self or Us. This is a
> research area which I find very interesting. Programming in the Slate
> language had a bit of the same flavor and the "worlds" work being done
> by Alan Kay's group is closely related (though viewpoints are bundled
> together like nested transactions). Even Ian Piumarta's "Quantum Object
> Dynamics" speculations are related to this.
>
> http://slatelanguage.org/documentation/
> http://www.vpri.org/pdf/tr2011001_final_worlds.pdf
> http://www.vpri.org/pdf/m2009002_qod.pdf

I never really played with Slate though I read its docs.  It was a bit CLOS-like?

Korz in comparison seems to retain more of the feeling of late binding, though maybe that's a misremembering.

Korz also still privileges the object/selector axis, with other aspects secondary ('context').

Ian's earlier stuff with COLA seemed to be playing in the same space not by reifying context but by reifying the dispatch mechanism. Maybe that's a dynamism step too far though.

Russell