[self-interest] Experimental VM manager for OS X to try

Tobias Pape Das.Linux at gmx.de
Thu Feb 23 21:00:59 UTC 2012

Am 2012-02-23 um 08:35 schrieb Tobias Pape:

> Am 2012-02-23 um 02:19 schrieb Russell Allen:
>
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > As I mentioned before I have been thinking about how to make the current VM experience on Macs (with the droplet, complex installer etc) better.
> >
> > I've uploaded a first think of a better way to http://selflanguage.org/files/releases/4.5/experimental/SelfVM-23Feb12.zip
>
> This is great :)
> Just one comment: The actual VM inside the app shouldn't be called Self.app, too.
> I either would name the inner app SelfVM.app or the outer app SelfManager.app.
> The name clash can have stupid side effects on OS X.

One more thing:

executing
  os getcwd
with the default Self.app (via Droplet)
results in the path of the running image
(eg, '/Users/myname/self/')

whereas executing
  os getcwd
with the new app results in
 '/'
which leads to the problem that the example
runScript-s do not work.

Either way, have the image dir as cwd seems reasonable,
but this, too, prevents from executing stuff like
  'applications/smalltalk/smalltalk.self' runScript
Or am I doing something stupid here?

Best
	-Tobias