[self-interest] Changing prototype chain as state machine

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Fri Sep 30 20:54:09 UTC 2011

David Goehrig wrote:
> Jecel,
> Do you still have the multi-map implementation?  I would love to see
> what you did.

I don't think I have it, but it was a trivial enough patch to my own
tinySelf 0 virtual machine (in C) that it would be easy to recreate and
to add to the real Self VM.

> Map management by defining a graph that can be traversed between
> multiple maps would be a great tool for not only code analysis but also
> designing software.
> A graphical editor would allow one to edit state diagrams directly.

Are we talking about the same kind of map? The ones in my implementation
are the hidden structure in the VM which play the roles that classes
play in Smalltalk virtual machines. They are 100% invisible at the Self
language level. So much so that Ole Agesen had to recreate the
equivalent at the language level the hard way in his "gold" project:

http://selflanguage.org/documentation/published/gold.html

--Jecel