[self-interest] Re: Paper on Traits.

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Tue Sep 27 18:12:12 UTC 2011

Thanks David, Randy and James (I knew about the Star but had forgotten
about this detail) for clearing up the history of the term. I don't know
why I wrote my comment in the form of explaining the origin of it since
I didn't know it and actually thought it unlikely that PARC people who
worked with Smalltalk-80 would be familiar with Adele's Smalltalk-72 era
efforts. And I had also talked with the Squeak Traits people at the same
conference David did and knew that they had borrowed the term from Self.

What I had wanted to point out was that the Self, Star and Adele use of
"traits" are similar while the Squeak/Pharo and derived version of
traits are similar to Self and Strongtalk mixins. So reading the papers
about one version to better understand the other version might not be a
good idea.