Paper on Traits.

jameskjxnoble kjx at mcs.vuw.ac.nz
Mon Sep 26 13:03:42 UTC 2011

--- In self-interest at yahoogroups.com, ungar at ... wrote:

> Small correction:
>
> When I started using "traits", I don't think I knew about Adele's work.
> I used the term because it had to do with inheritance, and I was going with a biological metaphor.
> That's how I remember it. Maybe I'll ask Randy about it.

There's a 1984 paper on "Experience with Traits in the Xerox Star Workstation" -
I always assumed it came from there, via Parc...

The Xerox Star (8010) is an integrated office workstation. Its software is written in an object-oriented style. Often, different applications will impose slightly different requirements on nominally similar objects which they use. Customization of object definitions for different applications is achieved by attaching modifiers called traits to pre-existing object defintions. This paper describes the approach and recounts our experience with traits.

TSE 1984, http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=5010276