[self-interest] New build of Self snapshot: Self-4.5.prealpha-15Sep11

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Sep 16 10:23:04 UTC 2011

Hi,

On 16/09/2011, at 5:21 PM, Ankh'nAton wrote:

> the ugly truetype fonts in Linux come from not being anti aliased.

Worse, our default font is actually bitmap and not truetype...  We're defaulting to 6x13 when we can't find anything else because its almost the only font I can guarantee will be available on all distros.

> Why not
> use abstract fonts like labelFont, menuFont, buttonFont, textFont and let
> another layer translate them to Verdana,Arial,Helvetica, "Times New Roman",
> Times, Courier and what have you? I like the idea of the outlinerPreferences
> but thats only half the way, isn't it?

Yep. I'm gradually moving settings over to a single place. So keep posted and things will get easier.

> In my particular case I replaced all occurences of "verdana" with
> "helvetica" and increased all fonts by 2pts. Also I replaced all "9x13" with
> "Courier 14". Now it looks ok and is more readable on my 1920x1080 screen.

So helvetica is working for you? What distro and version are you using? And what if any extra font packages have you installed?

- Russell