[self-interest] Self VM on 64 bits ?

Mildred Ki'Lya mildred593 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 18:53:19 UTC 2011

On 15 September 2011 18:50, David Ungar <ungar at me.com> wrote:

> **
>

> What a great idea! No one is working on that, AFAIK. When we started Self,
> the VM was written for the 32-bit 68k. Later, we ported to SPARC, then I did
> a PPC port, then I ported it to the Intel architecture, IIRC. I would love
> to see someone pick up the mantle, and join Russell. Whoever does, will
> learn a lot!
>
> -- David (tapped out on my iPhone; blame it for any typoze;-)

I never did anything like that ... but I'm trying. Look at
https://github.com/mildred/self/commits/x86_64
I don't think I'll see the same things that you did, as x86_64 is kind of
compatible with i386.

First, I plan to make the VM compile, replacing int32 to a pointer-length
integer when necessary. I hope the assembler files will compile with not too
much problems and I plan on trying to run the VM. Then, it'll probably crash
and I'll have to debug it.

Do you think the assembler files are necessary, can't they be replaced by C
files?

For sure, vmDate.s could be replaced already.

Mildred

--
Mildred Ki'Lya
http://mildred.fr