[self-interest] Hi, Self for Linux compiling Self to LLVM ...

Mildred Ki'Lya mildred593 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 12:15:14 UTC 2011

On 5 September 2011 03:45, Russell Allen <mail at russell-allen.com> wrote:

> **
>

> Hi Mildred,
>

> On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 10:12:51 +0200, Mildred Ki'Lya wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am becoming very interested in the Self language, that I just
> > discovered fully. This is my dream language, the one that I tried to
> > imagine over and over again. At least, it appears as such. I
> > downloaded the version for linux but the user interface in the VM is
> > absolutely awful. The text overlap and it is close to unusability. Am
> > I doing things wrong or is that the current state of the VM?
>
> The issue with morphic on the Linux VM is that it is using the very old
> X font handling mechanism (X Core Fonts), which the modern distros are
> all deprecating in favour of the less old Xft.
>
> So the font the Linux VM is looking for isn't available (because its
> been moved to Xft) and its defaulting to a font with the wrong metrics
> (hence the overlapping etc)
>
> Fixing this requires updating the VM primitives and the font handling
> code on the Self side. I just haven't done it yet :)
>
> (Anyone who is interested in doing this, please get in touch!)

I might be interested in doing that.

Do you have any hints on how to get started. When I cloned the Self
repository on github, I found an awful mess. it's probably because it's a
CVS import but I find it hard to find anything. Like the source code for the
VM and how to compile it. In fact, you shouldn't need to go to any
sub-directory to start working.

If we want to do anything that last, we should use a higher level API such
as cairo, or perhaps Qt. The X11 protocol is going to go away anyway (you
guessed that I am looking forward wayland)

> In the meantime, all I can suggest is either trying an older distro, or
> the Mac version if you have access to one.

Older, I want to stick with my latest Fedora, and a mac ... yes, but with
Linux on it won't help.
:)

--
Mildred Ki'Lya