A few questions from a smalltalker

Bernat Romagosa tibabenfortlapalanca at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 07:45:46 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm a smalltalker who's looking to learn Self, and I'm wondering whether
there's a short tutorial that teaches what should I learn in order to "get"
Self. I've been searching around in this list and in the Self blog, but I
couldn't find much stuff.

The questions that come to my mind when I peek around the Self GUI are:

** Where is the Class Browser?*
I know this must make no sense in Self as there are no Classes to browse,
but then: how do you explore the system library? How do you know which
objects are there to copy and what can they do?

** How does one create an object?*
I'm not sure if "create" is the right word to use. I mean it the same way
one would say "instantiate a class" in Smalltalk. I guess if Self has no
classes, what you actually do is to "copy" existing objects and modify them,
is that right?

** Can you print stuff?*
I noticed that shells can both DoIt and GetIt stuff, but not PrintIt. Does
this respond to some design principle?

Please excuse me if the questions sound lame or basic, I'm not trying to
compare both languages, just looking for a shortcut so I don't have to go
through the whole tutorial :)

Thanks a lot!

--
Bernat Romagosa.