[self-interest] Re: UnitTests

Jason Grossman spam-me at xeny.net
Wed Jan 12 02:08:50 UTC 2011

On 12/01/2011, at 12:00 PM, Michael Latta wrote:

> In many shops JavaScript is doing well and is a prototype based language. Using it on the server is gaining ground with things like node.js. Of course the environment is totally different than the smalltalk/self concept of programming.

Yes.  Also, as far as I can see, server-side JavaScript interacts very poorly with the underlying operating system (e.g. I don't think any of the implementations let you exec arbitrary OS commands) ... so JavaScript inherits that defect of Smalltalk / Self without many of the benefits of Smalltalk / Self.  Pity, because the CoffeeScript flavour of JavaScript has rather a nice syntax and is, as you say, prototype-based.

Jason