APL class projects (was: Please help with SELF installation)

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Feb 17 06:03:21 UTC 2011

I was taking a class once and the teacher proposed a problem where you
had to number the squares in a crossword puzzle. Only squares which were
the start of two or more horizontal or vertical spaces were to be
numbered.

She called me to the blackboard and told be to start drawing an NS chart
(http://www.hit.ac.il/staff/leonidm/information-systems/ch56.html) and I
said we first had to decide what language the program would be written
in. She claimed that the language you use has no effect on how you think
about the problem, and in this case there would always be three nested
loops. That is not something you should ever say to me :-) I told her
that if I used APL there would be no loops. So she said the language
would be Pascal and I finished the program for her.

The following class I have her the APL version as a present. I could
have written it in one line, but did it in four instead to make it more
readable :-)

-- Jecel

David Harris wrote on Wed, 16 Feb 2011 21:37:37 -0800