[self-interest] Smalltalk basics first?

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Wed Feb 16 05:11:48 UTC 2011

On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, Ian Woollard wrote:

> On 15/02/2011, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl at ml1.net> wrote:
> > Hello List ...
> >
> > Given that Self is an "upward extension" of Smalltalk - if you will -
> > I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be advisable for me to learn the
> > very basics of Smalltalk syntax, before proceeding further with
> > Self. Opinions please!
> >
> > Perhaps "Computer Programming using GNU Smalltalk" by Canol Gökel
> > http://smalltalk.gnu.org/documentation/books
>
> Self is if anything a simpler language, so learning Smalltalk first is
> probably a harder route. But Self is slightly more powerful than
> Smalltalk (although the Self libraries aren't as good).
>
> So there's largely unnecessary complexities that you would face in
> learning Smalltalk.
>
> But it depends on why you're learning Self in the first place.

Exactly the feedback I was looking for! Thanks!

I had noticed _some_ similarities between the Self and Smalltalk
syntax. I merely thought that perhaps one would assist in learning the
other, as I take it that Smalltalk preceded Self.

However, I really have no compelling desire to learn Smalltalk, other
than to learn OOP as it was originally conceived. That has always been
a challenge for me. OTOH, Self has been nothing a refreshing
experience for me as far as OOP is concerned. It "makes sense" - to me!

I'll stay away from Smalltalk - and keep things simple! :)
--
Duke