[self-interest] Smalltalk basics first?

Ian Woollard ian.woollard at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 00:29:56 UTC 2011

Self is if anything a simpler language, so learning Smalltalk first is
probably a harder route. But Self is slightly more powerful than
Smalltalk (although the Self libraries aren't as good).

So there's largely unnecessary complexities that you would face in
learning Smalltalk.

But it depends on why you're learning Self in the first place.

On 15/02/2011, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl at ml1.net> wrote:
> Hello List ...
>
> Given that Self is an "upward extension" of Smalltalk - if you will -
> I'm just wondering if it wouldn't be advisable for me to learn the
> very basics of Smalltalk syntax, before proceeding further with
> Self. Opinions please!
>
> Perhaps "Computer Programming using GNU Smalltalk" by Canol Gökel
> http://smalltalk.gnu.org/documentation/books
> --
> Duke

-Ian Woollard