[self-interest] Smalltalk basics first?

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 23:01:40 UTC 2011

What I'm saying is that Self has less concepts, so studying Smalltalk is likely to fill your head with stuff you don't need in Self; that said I think it MAY BE worth it because the core message-passing model is the same, you get the historical context, there are syntactic similarities (biggest diffs that I know of around object literals and the implicit self.)

OTOH you really will be more than doubling your work load to learn both. So if you aren't interested in Smalltalk, I'd say skip it. Repeated caveat: I'm a Smalltalk programmer dabbling in Self, so my perspective may be uninformed/distorted by my own context.