[self-interest] How is "a slots object" created

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Wed Feb 9 22:13:54 UTC 2011

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, Michael Latta wrote:

> Self was not available until after Smalltalk lost the battle to
> java. Not having a windows port also still hurts it's
> adoption. Mostly though I would say it never got critical mass in
> terms of the community behind it.

So, would it be fair to say that Sun "killed" Self by opting for Java
to go head-to-head with Smalltalk? Then when Java was "safe", it
released Self.

Of course with Self available only on Sparcs, it never had a chance to
get the critical mass that it needed to show its stuff.

That was then! What about now? Surely being available on the OS X and
Linux should make all the difference in the world. Is the Smalltalk
community mostly on Windoze, and will stay put until Self is ported to
it?
--
Duke