[self-interest] How is "a slots object" created

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Wed Feb 9 15:09:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, 9 Feb 2011, David Harris wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 5:59 AM, Duke Normandin <dukeofperl at ml1.net> wrote:
>
> > [sidebar]
> > Speaking of company, it seems that Self does not even have a quorum to
> > make a "community". Perhaps there are more Self programmers around
> > than I realize though - but they sure are quiet! What is surprising to
> > me, is that the Smalltalk community hasn't adopted Self to a greater
> > degree. I wonder why not?
>
> Probably because Self was originally limited to Sun workstations,
> and needed more resources than most had.  However, the Smalltalk
> community did embrace it to a certain extent in that they adapted
> Morphic.

So I take it that the Self ports to other architectures happened too
late to make an impact on the programming community at large?

However that may have been, if Self is _that much_ simpler, and yet so
close to Smalltalk's  "look and feel", why would the _entire language_
not be embraced, instead of just a single feature. What goes through
a Smalltalker's mind that makes him stay put with Smalltalk, instead
of dropping everything and easily (I assume) adopting Self? There's
something missing in this picture! :)
--
Duke