[self-interest] Self (and OOP) noob says Hi!

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Wed Feb 2 06:31:43 UTC 2011

Hi Duke,

Are you using the Demo.snap snapshot or the Clean.snap
snapshot?

Playing with the world in Demo.snap might help you.

answer the specific question:

Right click on the background somewhere
so that a menu comes up, and choose "New Shell..."

This creates a shell
object. Click the little 'E' button in the top right to open a textbox.
Expressions typed into that box are done in the context of the object.
(You can do this on any object)

Type '()' and click 'Get'. This will
get an empty object. Dump it on the background somewhere.

If you right
click on your new empty document, a menu will pop up and you should be
able to see an option to add a slot. Do that, and enter 'balance  >
tutorial. It'd be nice to have more of that stuff. I'm new to self

too:)

> You bet! I say that and am reading it. However, I'd like to
follow
> along with the examples shown, like in:

http://selflanguage.org/_static/tutorial/Tutorial/Language/ObjectsAndSlots/ExamplesOfSlots.html

[2]

> Take the first image on that page - how do I get _that_ to
happen.
> Is
> there a page that documents- step-by-step - how this bank
account
> example is put together? Otherwise, I bring up the Self VM,
and now
> have no clue what to do next.
> --
> Duke