[self-interest] Self (and OOP) noob says Hi!

Duke Normandin dukeofperl at ml1.net
Wed Feb 2 05:13:17 UTC 2011

On Tue, 1 Feb 2011, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2011, at 3:01 PM, "cgnormandin" <dukeofperl at ml1.net> wrote:
>
> > Hello list!
> >

> > I've dabbled with Smalltalk Squeak, and GNU Smalltalk. Didn't get
> > too far ;( OOP has been a real struggle for me. Hoping Self will
> > change all of that.
> >
> > Is there a "Self by Example", or something similar? I need to get
> > familiar with the VM, as well as the language itself. Much obliged
>
> On the self website, under documentation, there's a pretty good
> tutorial. It'd be nice to have more of that stuff. I'm new to self
> too:)

You bet! I say that and am reading it. However, I'd like to follow
along with the examples shown, like in:

http://selflanguage.org/_static/tutorial/Tutorial/Language/ObjectsAndSlots/ExamplesOfSlots.html

Take the first image on that page - how do I get _that_ to happen. Is
there a page that documents- step-by-step - how this bank account
example is put together? Otherwise, I bring up the Self VM, and now I
have no clue what to do next.
--
Duke