[self-interest] Mythical 3Dui

Randy randy.smith at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 21:12:29 UTC 2010

We had an attempt at ui3, connecting a 3D library (was it open GL?) to objects in Self.

This work was done by a student of Andy VanDam at Brown. A sample environment or two were created in 3D, but a full 3D programming environment felt just too clunky at the time.

One environment had a bunch of bouncing boxes in a 3D world ... you could grab and move a box with the mouse. There was a special key combo with which to "go meta" -- which in this case meant going "out of body." Your point of view backs away and you see the frame and camera through which you had been viewing the world. With the frame and camera as reachable objects, you could move them around, attach the frame to a bouncing box, or pull the camera away from the frame to give it a more telephoto view of the environment. There was an "anti-meta" operation to let you resume use of any frame-camera pair you might find.

--Randy