[self-interest] Re: Self 4.4 released

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Thu Jul 29 11:37:27 UTC 2010

Hi Thomas,

Glad you're having fun :)

Confusingly, Self has two GUI frameworks. The first, UI1 (under the userInterface label in globals) is the older one and not used by default. I think it will be put into an optional install in the next release.  It's great fun to play with though.

The current one is ui2 or morphic, which is under the ui2 label in globals.  If you are coming from Squeak you might be a bit familiar with morphic in Self, but Self morphic is older and simpler.

Have a read of http://docs.selflanguage.org/morphic.html

Anyway, to change fonts requires a bit of poking around I'm afraid - there isn't a nice GUI preferences morph (yet). Important objects are:

outlinerPreferences
generalCategoryModel parent
 (especially the objectTitleFontSpec and subcategoryTitleFontSpec slots)

I've attached a little module which messes with some fonts that I did a while back to help you get started. You can file it in with:

'morphicFacelift.self' runScript

Keep us posted with your travels - we need feedback on what works and what's confusing!

Cheers, Russell