[self-interest] Klein, ARM and Self Hardware

Jan-Paul Bultmann janpaulbultmann at me.com
Tue Dec 28 11:26:23 UTC 2010

I was talking about the dev environment for Klein on an arm not because I wanted everybody to drop everything and get a beagle board, that would probably hit the wall pretty fast.
It was merely to get some ideas and discussion.
I gathered some friends, they are not that interested in self (one can't blame them, they are either total c freaks or the java generation...hope that will change :)),
but they started to drool when I told them about a free beagleboard in exchange for some thoughts on compiler development.
Maybe they will catch the bait and I can collect a small Klein team over here :D
So don't worry about it any longer, just wait :)

Cheers Jan

On Dec 28, 2010, at 6:55 AM, Russell Allen wrote:

> To be honest, I don't think Klein makes sense at this time.  It's too experimental and there's too much new work needed to be done on it.
I totally agree on that :)

> Porting the existing C++ VM to Windows and also ARM is a straight forward exercise treading an already travelled path: the VM has already moved from Solaris->Mac OS X->Linux and Sparc->PPC->x86
>
> All that is needed is someone with time and suitable C++ skills.  (Btw, if there is anyone qualified and interested in the task it might even be possible for some resources to be found to help fund it.)

I would love to do that, but I don't have any c++ skills and don't plan to get them :D
> - Russell
>
> On 28/12/2010, at 4:20 PM, Josh Flowers wrote:
>

>> I'd love to have Self on a touch device, but I don't think it makes sense as a community focus (yet).

Totally agree on that too.