[self-interest] Hello! (or, What's the best way to learn Self?)

Jan-Paul Bultmann janpaulbultmann at me.com
Mon Dec 27 12:37:08 UTC 2010

Hey Casey,
Even though the docs on (http://docs.selflanguage.org/ , which you have probably seen :)) are a nice start. They are far from complete.
My approach was to set me a small goal of what I wanted to do with self. I wanted to get rid of the grey background and put in a nice pic.
Turns out I fabulously failed at it, because I wen't deeper and deeper down the system until there was noting more I could do, than contributing to our Klein VM written in Self :D

So instead of reading the docs from beginning to end, just jump into the image (and make a backup of it, best a clean fresh one, git comes there in pretty handy), consult them when there is something you can't quite grasp.
But the self environment is really a playground.
And you can of course always ask in the IRC channel fro a quick answer :) (I tend to shift my day night rhythm towards the american one on good days :D)

Cheers Jan