[self-interest] Klein, ARM and Self Hardware

Jan-Paul Bultmann janpaulbultmann at me.com
Wed Dec 15 00:10:08 UTC 2010

On Dec 15, 2010, at 12:52 AM, Jason Grossman wrote:

> >> It might be good to focus on one platform, but I don't think it should be a touchpad. Self would have to change a LOT to be useable without a mouse.
> >>
> > I think the opposite is the case.
> > You can easily simulate a 3 button mouse with gestures, even if it is as simple as counting the fingers :).
> > The size constraints as mentioned in the article could be easily solved by some zooming work.
>
> Good point: the Self world is zoomable in a way that mainstream OSs aren't, and that would solve some of the problems. But think about how far in you'd have to zoom to use a big fat finger instead of a mouse. I still think it would be problematic.

Yea the level of zoom required for some of the things in UI2 is propably problematic :D, like the tiny tiny  "portal" in the core sampler. It's even hard to hit with a mouse :)

> > We could then gradualy move the interface to be more touch friendly.
>
> Yes.

I personaly would like to see the style of the morphic world go towards something like the apple dasboard.
Many differend self contained morphs with a distinct functionality. With big candy buttons :D

http://media.arstechnica.com/images/tiger/dashboard-big.jpg

My favorite of them is the calculator it feels like a real one, with the moving buttons e.t.c

Cheers Jan