[self-interest] simply add water

Jason Grossman spam-me at xeny.net
Sun Dec 5 09:43:16 UTC 2010

About Chris Double's IRC bot object: Chris said (last year):

> I'm playing around with Sockets in Self and put together a little IRC
> bot object. It's pretty basic but is usable to talk to an IRC server.
> The code is here:
>
> http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/self/ircBot.self
>
> Copy it to 'objects/applications' and load with:
>
>  bootstrap read: 'ircBot' from: 'applications'.
>
> It creates an 'ircBot' object in globals. You can copy this to connect
> a server. There are slots for the server name, port and nickname.
> These default to 'irc.freenode,net', 6667, and 'selfbot' respectively.

I'm having trouble with this.  (Possibly just being a noob.)  First of all, I think the filein command should have a capital F in From, thus:

	bootstrap read: 'ircBot' from: 'applications'.

But with or without that capital F, doing the filein doesn't seem to create an ircBot slot on globals.  This is using Self 4.4 on a Mac, clean snapshot ... maybe something relevant has changed since Chris wrote that last year?

Jason