[self-interest] iPad?

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Wed Aug 18 07:18:39 UTC 2010

Russell Allen wrote on Wed, 18 Aug 2010 20:47:56 +1000
> LLVM would get us compilation to ARM, but would require a full rewrite of
> the VM. It wouldn't get us Windows because that's an issue of primitives
> not cpu. So I'm not sure that it would be simpler than porting the
> existing VM (which after all has already been done twice - from Sparc to
> PPC and PPC to x86)

Given how different the Sparc and x86 are, I would say that the ARM is
almost just a variation of the PPC (or MIPS). If I weren't already busy
with the SiliconSqueak project, this is certainly something I would like
to do. The other day I was checking out the price at Digikey for the
Freescale i.MX233 processor (450MHz ARM9) and at $9 (or $5 in lots of
100) it would make a fun little Self computer given how reasonably Self
performs on my 277MHz Ultrasparc. This would be for connecting to old TV
sets, but if Kansas had zooming and not just scrolling it would work
just fine.

Of course, with Klein we wouldn't need to mess with C++ for this kind of
thing.