[self-interest] Propogating slot changes in Morphs

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Fri Apr 16 02:38:40 UTC 2010

On 16/04/10 14:20, Russell Allen wrote:
> Ideally I suppose what is needed is a slot which ‘belongs’ to the parent
> object but which nevertheless can have different values depending on the
> child.

Yes, this is similar to how inheritance works in the Io programming
language. When you clone an object it doesn't clone the slots. it does
copy-on-write in that it creates a copy of the cloned objects slots when
you set them on the child. This makes 'data parents' a bit easier to
deal with in that you can add new slots to all cloned objects easier.

Thanks for the pointer to copy down slots - I'll read up on them.

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz