Scrolling worlds

Chris Double chris.double at double.co.nz
Thu Apr 15 05:05:28 UTC 2010

I like the way Self worlds work with the 'infinite size' approach, and
using radar morphs, etc to get a birds eye view and scroll around. I do
find it a bit difficult to quickly scroll the world in some direction to
get a bit of extra space though.

I decided to try some things out and lately I've been using a small
change to scroll the world by dragging with the right mouse button. I
have a patch to do it here:

http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz/self/scroll-world.patch

It is also in my github repository in the 'scroll-world' branch:

http://github.com/doublec/self/tree/scroll-world

With this patch applied you can right click and drag the world
background to move around. I chose right click since left click is
already taken with selection of morphs.

This model of scrolling would also work quite well on a touchscreen
based device. Adding kinetic scrolling would be interesting for
'flicking' the desktop around.

Is there functionality that does something like this already in the Self
system? Does anyone have their own 'hacks' for moving around the world?

Chris.
--
http://www.bluishcoder.co.nz