[self-interest] Self 4.4 and patents issue

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Mon Jun 29 02:24:17 UTC 2009

Hi Carter,

I'm not sure that you can ever be 100% safe from patents in the modern
world...

I can say that it is feasible to create a project with Self's
optimisation techniques and release it under a OSS licence because that
is precisely what Self is! As well, a number of OSS and commercial
virtual machines have incorporated elements from Self's compilation
strategies over the years, including Google's V8, Strongtalk and the now
open source Java VM.

(This of course isn't legal advice - if you are doing something
commercially that might attract the attention of patent trolls then
consult a good patent attorney twice a day before meals and get plenty
of healthy outdoors exercise. But that advice applies to everything, not
just Self :)

Are you thinking of embedding the Self VM itself, or writing a new VM
from scratch for a Self-like language?

Cheers,

Russell