Self 4.4 Alpha 1 Release

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Feb 6 04:02:34 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

I haven't been able to find the time to put together a fully functional
release, but I have noticed that there have been a large number of hits
to the new website (55,047 pages since launch), so I've put together an
initial alpha to get things moving.

Download it from selflanguage.org

What we have is:

- Working MacOS X VM with installer
- Working Linux x86 VM
- Freshly built Clean.snap

Currently missing is:

- an updated Demo.snap
- Sparc and Intel Solaris VMs.  I don't have easy access to a Sparc
machine and would greatly appreciate it if someone who does could help
out.  It would be a great pity to have to abandon Self's first platform!
- release documentation, notes etc.

Please read the short ReadMe file!

Unfortunately the Snapshot and MacOS X VM form a pair; you can't open
Clean.snap in a 4.3 VM so be wary if you already have a 4.3 VM on your
system that your Mac doesn't try to use it instead of the new one.  How
to handle VM versioning is a subject I'd like to discuss with anyone
with experience in it.

This is an initial alpha and hasn't been tested.  Everything is up for
change including distribution methods, packaging etc.  Please comment
and try out; in particular please sing out if the Linux VM doesn't work
on your distro.

Best,

Russell