[self-interest] KYP-KYS #1

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Aug 14 23:32:07 UTC 2009

Hi Chris,

It's great that you are interested in this and I enjoyed your video.

I'm sorry that you seem to have had a few problems with the mechanics
of installing, starting and stopping Self.

(Btw, I'm definately interested in user friendly experiences - so
please if there is something obviously wrong to you then speak up)

Did you try double-clicking the snapshots?  I think there may be a bug
in the Self VM installer so that the Self droplet is not automatically
registering itself with .snap files on installation.

Essentially the way it should work is that after installing the VM,
you should be able to double click the .snap files (like Demo.snap) to
run them (or start from the Terminal.app with "Self -s path/to/
snapshot.snap").  Each snapshot should behave much like an executable
Java .jar file.

You are certainly not meant to drag and drop each snapshot to the VM
in the Library!

If you want to quit Self, right click on the kansas background to
bring up the menu (like in Squeak) and choose quit.  Alternatively, if
you have started Self from the Terminal.app, then type 'quit' into the
Self shell.

Just as a note, you can also move around Kansas using the scroll wheel
on your mouse or, on a Macbook, by scrolling on the trackpad with two
windows (in either X or Y dimensions).  I find this faster and better
than using the mapmorph thingy.

I'm looking forward to your future videos...

Best,

Russell