[self-interest] Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and..

Steve Dekorte steve at dekorte.com
Fri Aug 7 18:43:07 UTC 2009

On 2009-08-06, at 10:23 PM, Toby Ovod-Everett wrote:
> Anyway, one way to get at the core of the Perl vs. Self dichotomy
> (although
> one of things I'm pointing out above is that it's possible to have
> Self-like
> semantics in Perl due to the flexibility built into Perl) might be
> to think
> about natural languages vs. designed languages - i.e. English vs.
> Lojban.  The
> first is ugly and messy and full of all sorts of weirdness.

Not all human languages are a tangle of special cases. Turkish, for
example, is completely phonetic and this allows children learning it
to become completely fluent years earlier. It also eliminates spelling
mistakes and significantly increases typing speeds (there is a reason
why stenotypes are phonetic).

> The latter is supposedly much cleaner, but notice that
> many more people speak the former.

English speakers also outnumber Turkish speakers, but I'd be highly
skeptical of the argument that the language features are the cause of
this difference.

Btw, I've noticed a tendency for discussions of unnecessary complexity
vs. simplicity to ultimately devolve into the more human vs. less
human argument. But who is it who gets to define that which humans
should aspire to? Are gothic gargoyles on the sides of cathedrals
truly "more human" than the architecture Frank Lloyd Wright? Which
humanity do you want to belong to?