[self-interest] Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and..

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Wed Aug 5 22:46:19 UTC 2009

I would say that a big part is more about documentation than language
design for the beginner.  If Smalltalk/Self/Objective-C had
documentation that approached the problem of learning step-wise and
covered all the basics rather than the concepts, it might be less of
an issue for beginners to learn them.  When control structures are
built-in they get documented.  When they are in a library they are
often left for the programmer to discover.  This is not always the
case, but certainly contributes to the problem.

Michael