[self-interest] Keeping several versions around

Bergel, Alexandre bergel at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Aug 3 22:39:10 UTC 2009

> Didn't you have to change the Squeak VM to get Classboxes on
> it?

The first implementation yes. But this is a bazooka-like method that
is recommendable only in a last development phase (for speed
efficiency). For prototyping, I suggest to use reflection. I am not
sure about Self's meta-programming capabilities, but I believe Self
does better than Smalltalk on that respect.

> What did you do for Java?

In Java, when a redefined method is invoked, the whole method stack is
introspected. The stack of classboxes involved in the computation is
then built. You can then freely invoke the proper version of the
method to invoke.
> One fundamental question I have is whether a Classbox is possible on a
> prototype based system or whether you need to go the whole hog to Us.

I do not know Us in details, but the key aspects of classboxes are:
	- a modular unit may define class extension (adding a method on a
class that is defined in a different modular unit)
	- the method lookup takes modular unit's visibility into account

I believe Us has similar postulates. In Classboxes, I rely on the
complete method call stack. After all these years, I am not completely
sure this was the right decision. The reason is that you can easily
end up with a complex situation where you do not know which method is
gonna to be invoked. The method lookup algorithm should remain simple.

I wrote a short description of Selector Namespace. This mechanism is
simpler than classboxes and should be easy to implement.
http://bergel.eu/download/SelectorNamespaceEssay.pdf

Cheers,
Alexandre