[self-interest] Getting someone to port Self

Michael Latta lattam at mac.com
Sun Sep 21 17:03:20 UTC 2008

The DLR (the layer on the CLR designed for dynamic languages) adds
support for dynamic languages and packages up some of the concerns,
which on the JVM you would need to roll yourself.  The underlying CLR
has a few more hooks for dynamic languages than does the JVM.  In J2EE
7 they have said they will be adding a new op-code to better support
dynamic language dispatch, which may even the field in terms of the
basic VM support.

In any case you may find a much better fit with the new javascript VMs
that are coming out of webkit and FireFox.  They are very high
performance, and do not have the strong typing basis that both the JVM
and CLR assume.  Other than syntax javascript is very compatible with
self in its concepts.

Michael