[self-interest] Linux VM: Sucess

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Fri Oct 24 05:38:10 UTC 2008

Hi Michael,

The Mac changes are already in CVS - you just need to build a new
VM+Snapshot. I didn't make any changes myself.

In terms of building the linux vm, I'll post build instructions when I get
a chance to write them up. It's quite straightforward.

In the meantime, if you go to russell-allen.com/computing/self/ there's a
zip file with a MacOS X vm, linux vm and Snapshot.

Russell

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 10:10:31 +1100, Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:

> Russell,
>
> Are your changes turned over to CVS for the Mac changes?  Will there
> be a packaged version prebuilt for those of us that are lazy?
>
> Michael
>

> On Oct 23, 2008, at 3:57 PM, Russell Allen wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> In the end it turned out to be really simple, requiring almost no
>> changes
>> to the Self build system or code.
>>
>> After building a new snapshot from the CVS tree I now have a working
>> virtual machine and snapshot combination running on Ubuntu 7.04,
>> 8.04 and
>> OpenSuse.
>>
>> I also built a new MacOS X vm to run the new snapshot.
>>
>> (The new vms and snapshot aren't backwards compatible - you can't
>> run the
>> new snapshot on an old vm or open an old snapshot in the new vms
>> without
>> errors.  This is mostly GUI stuff - the change from Carbon to Quartz
>> primitives on the Mac side and changes to how X is called on the Linux
>> side)
>>
>> So Self now runs on Linux.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Russell
>>

>> On Tue, 30 Sep 2008 12:43:31 +1000, Russell Allen
>> <mail at russell-allen.com
>> >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I retreated to Ubuntu 7.04 (and GCC 4.1) and rebuilt the linux VM
>>> from
>>> the
>>> CVS sources.
>>>
>>> The normal 4.3 barebones snapshot works with the exception of X
>>> (and thus
>>> morphic). This isn't suprising as it needs modifications to let it
>>> know
>>> it
>>> is running on Linux.  I'm working through those.
>>>
>>> The 4.1-based gleibe.de/self image works as well, with partial
>>> success in
>>> opening a morphic window.  Basically, after every X call (I think) it
>>> freezes; _Flush brings very temporary relief.  If I execute something
>>> like
>>> "[ _Flush ] loop", I get a working but vvveeerrryyy ssslllooowwww
>>> morphic