Linux VM: Sucess

Russell Allen mail at russell-allen.com
Thu Oct 23 22:57:22 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

In the end it turned out to be really simple, requiring almost no changes
to the Self build system or code.

After building a new snapshot from the CVS tree I now have a working
virtual machine and snapshot combination running on Ubuntu 7.04, 8.04 and
OpenSuse.

I also built a new MacOS X vm to run the new snapshot.

(The new vms and snapshot aren't backwards compatible - you can't run the
new snapshot on an old vm or open an old snapshot in the new vms without
errors.  This is mostly GUI stuff - the change from Carbon to Quartz
primitives on the Mac side and changes to how X is called on the Linux
side)

So Self now runs on Linux.

Cheers,

Russell