[self-interest] Re: Webserver in Self

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Fri May 16 23:07:41 UTC 2008

Russell,
> > [example for trainees]
>
> I guess that means that Self has all the necessary socket primitives etc?  Could you share
> your web server code to give me some help in where to start writing my own?

Sorry, but it was trivial enough that I didn't bother saving it. I was
exploring the various socket APIs in Self (I had never looked at them
before) and wrote a code fragment that I would execute directly to see
what would happen. My idea was to show the students the effect of
spawning a new thread for each incoming request rather than handling
them all in a single loop.

> I'm only playing around for fun, so don't have 'needs' as such :)

This was about five minutes worth of coding including lots of
explanations. The code ignored what the browser sent and replied with a
constant string.

There might be some other server examples in the normal (Deno) Self
snapshots.

> > [should make old versions available]
>
> I'm happy to host an archive, but I don't have the files.

What I have saved locally is a rather random sample of what was
published. If somebody has a more complete archive it would be a better
starting point.